Saturday, February 23, 2013

pinked felt wreath

By this point, any visitors to my blog probably think I only make wreaths, lol! There is some truth to this, as the majority of the projects I've done so far have been wreaths. That's where I felt a "comfort zone" for a bit- not to mention that I found so many on Pinterest that were cute!

I do promise that soon, we will move from wreaths to some home decor, signs, Mod Podge projects and wedding DIY projects. Those are still in progress, though, and I've already completed two more types of wreaths that are super easy and fun to make. I'm sure you'll want to try these, so stick with me and my wreath posts a little while longer. :)

This next wreath is one I made for Valentine's Day. It has a very simple supply and instruction list. I won't lie, though- it is time consuming. It's something you can work on while you watch TV at night, though, so that makes it go pretty quickly.

Here's the finished product:


List of supplies:

  • 1 yard of felt - for V-Day, I chose pink and a purple-ish pink for my sister's wreath. You could choose any color depending on the holiday or season you want the wreath to represent!
  • Dressmaker pins
  • 12" extruded styrofoam wreath (an extruded foam wreath holds pins very well)
  • 3" circle template: I used a plastic cup that had an opening 3" across. You could make a template out of cardboard, but to get a perfect circle, just find something around the house that's about the right size (mug, cup, cans in your pantry)
  • Pinking shears
  • Glue gun
  • Pencil
  • Decorative element - mine was a glitter heart that I found at a local craft store

Instructions

Step One: Use a pencil to trace circles on the felt. I cut the felt into smaller pieces to make it easier to move around, and it's easier to cut later when it's not one in-tact big yard of material.

























Step Two: Use pinking shears to cut out your circles. You will need a LOT of circles - you'll use about 3/4 of your yard for a 12" wreath. I estimate I traced and cut over 200 circles for this wreath - no joke! So settle in for awhile; steps 1 and 2 take a lot of time.


























As you can see below, here are what your cut felt circles will look like. The ridged edges really add visual interest and depth to the wreath. You could just use regular fabric scissors, but I do highly recommend using pinking shears. 

 

















Step Three: Fold a felt circle in half, as shown in the photo.

























Step Four: Push a dressmaker pin through the bottom of the folded felt circle, about 1/2 inch from the bottom (as shown in the photo).














Step Five (Through Step 200 :)): Pin your felt folded circle to the wreath. You will only need to cover the front, outer circle and inner circle of the wreath - the back is left undone, since it won't be seen when it's hanging. Some tips when you are doing your pinning: you can turn the circles in different directions to make the wreath look more interesting. For example, with the folded part facing left, facing right, facing down, etc. It's kind of hard to describe, but you'll see when you start doing it. Also, pin your circles extremely close to one another. The idea here is that you won't see any of the white wreath underneath when you're done.



















Step 201: Use your hot glue gun or super glue to attach your accessory anywhere on the wreath. In my case, it was a super cute glitter heart from the craft store.

Step 202: Cut a length of ribbon in the same color scheme as your wreath. You will be doubling it over, so make it twice as long as you want your hanger to be. I love the ribbon I found - it's a grosgrain pink and white polka dot ribbon. I cut it about 12" inches long and folded it over. Then I pinned the open ends to the back of the wreath using 4 dressmaker pins, and I was done!

Once again, the finished wreath! I ended up making two of these and gave both away. By the time I was done, I didn't want to make one for myself because they're so time-consuming!! :) I'll have to go back to it later when I'm not quite as burnt out with this particular project. I estimate spending 8 hours on each wreath. Well worth it, though (I think!) - what do you think?

Credit to: all things simple, the blog that provided me with the original inspiration and DIY to make a pinked felt wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment